16 July, 2006

Phew, It’s Over!

The mobile learning conference is over. There have been a lot of interesting, boring, mundane, and rather intriguing moments. The one thing that I can say, the academic community has a lot of bad haircuts. They (we) don’t also posses many social graces. Generally, the people attending the conference seemed to be nicer to each other than doctors are towards each other.

I attended a medical conference a few years back and was rather appalled at how easily doctors/researchers were willing to tell someone, a fellow researcher, that what they were doing was crap.

Met one or two interesting persons. Find it a bit of a foreign world and only hope I did not “behave” inappropriately. Something as simple as asking questions at the end of the presentations seems to have a social codex that I don't quite grasp. I tended to ask a question just because I couldn’t imagine someone coming all this way (e.g. Malaysia, Taiwan, India) to give a presentation and then nobody asks a question at the end or makes a comment. Isn’t that rude, or at least, inconsiderate? Shouldn’t that be part of the chairperson’s job to prepare a few intelligent questions in case someone doesn’t ask something? So, I felt drawn to ask something even though I kind of wondered whether it was considered poor behaviour.

Dublin was aglow in sunshine. It is so wonderful here, that I am sorely tempted to come back with Sara in a few weeks time just to show her some of the wonders. Talked to Margaret and she is fortunately here at the timeslot we can come, so I’ll give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment