14 December, 2006

Ambassador of Christmas in Germany

It’s been a long day. I attended a large event concerning education, industry, and politics. It was a journey into the foreign world. Much more interesting than I thought it would be.

It is late in the day. I’m feeling slowly as if I can shed all the stress of the last months and just enter another time zone for the next three weeks.

Mama Scrooge was not able to go and buy the Christmas tree today because she was off somewhere else. Therefore, the task was accomplished (very well I might say) by Nature Girl. She picked out a tree as tall as her mighty eleven-year-old self. It’s a tad bit lopsided, but me thinks lopsided well suits our family. We certainly wouldn’t know what to do with a perfectly formed tree.

Christmas trees are traditionally decorated on the fourth Sunday of Advent. We don’t tend to wait that long. I like looking at the lit-up tree at night and so we will probably do it this weekend. Most Germans take down the Christmas trees by Epiphany (January 6th). So, they really only have the trees up for two weeks.

(I just tried to verify these facts with my dearest Limpet. He said that I shouldn’t pretend to be the ambassador of Christmas in Germany. I hold absolutely no qualifications and run the risk of making a lot of mistakes. If this is so, I apologise right now.)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:24 am

    Glad you enjoyed the event and that Nature Girl got a tree.
    And you are the ambassador of Christmas in Germany for me. I live in Canada so anything you say has got to be true, ha,ha..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:43 pm

    True it is - almost. We (Germans) actually decorate the tree on December 24th and put it down (and all Christmas decorations) at January 6th. Of course. But then there are crazy people out there who let their tree stand for as long as February. Tsk,tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:47 pm

    True it is - almost. We (Germans) actually decorate the tree on December 24th and put it down (and all Christmas decorations) at January 6th. Of course. But then there are crazy people out there who let their tree stand for as long as February. Tsk,tsk.

    ReplyDelete