21 April, 2007

Oh, Happy Days!

coins

It has been one of those rollercoaster weeks. Much to my dismay, I discovered at the beginning of the week that I had lost my bankcard the previous Friday. By the time I realised this, the culprit had done a fair size of damage to my account. Somewhere to the sum of five thousand euros. I’m one of those people who live from one pay cheque to another, so this sum that the thieves took, I didn’t actually have. For those of you who have built a healthy amount of savings, or for those of you who live constantly in debt, it is hard to describe my sense of deep dismay when I discovered I was, as of that moment, in debt.

I spent one day travelling back and forth between the bank and the police station (where I had to place charges against the thief). These are not situations I do well in or with carry through with any sense of authority. Though, I did manage to think and talk logically and I did not melt into butter until I came home.

Now, here is the miracle… The bank, which allowed the thief to withdraw nearly four thousand euros at their bank desk (false signature), and the stores who let the thief purchase a thousand euros worth of merchandise, are giving me back my money. Every last cent. Oh, Happy Days!

This poem describes so well the feeling of celebration that I experienced upon hearing the news. And this next poem depicts the giddiness that followed.

1 comment:

  1. That's great. 5,ooo € more or less make a tremendous difference.

    ReplyDelete