10 April, 2007

Project Gal

Over the last twenty-five years, I have undertaken a lot of writing projects: children stories, a novel, computer game scripts for women, a family journal, and this or the other blog. While I was writing these various things, I’ve always kept a journal of sorts.

After writing this entry last week, I decided to open up the boxes with my journals and take a look at them. Can you imagine writing a journal for twenty-five years and never reading them? Well, it’s true; I never did. That is, until four days ago.

I sorted the fifty some odd notebooks into chronological order and I’ve slowly started reading them from the beginning. I can only find journals from 1986 and onwards. A box or two must have gone missing along the way. Still, it’s interesting to read about my life way back then: the balance between mortification and fascination holds at the moment.

Slowly, I am considering what my next project might be. Perhaps a web-based journal: along the lines of my printed family journal. In the family journal, I wrote about time long gone (i.e., my childhood memories), time not-so-long-ago (i.e., stories of when the children were young), and philosophical meanderings on family and friends.

In this new project, I can mix text (e.g. entries from my old journals), photos, film, slideshows, comics, and podcasts all in one “document”. The last family journal took over two years to make. This new one just might be a continual work in progress.

Have any of you done anything like this? Any suggestions about how to proceed?

No comments:

Post a Comment