05 September, 2007

The Shawn Of My Childhood (Part Two)

“What’s a urinal?” I ask naively. Shawn explains. I can’t believe that boys would stand around this sink and pee in front of everyone. Shawn shrugs his shoulders, as if to say, “You have to be there to understand”.

Shawn is the only redhead in my class. He is an alter boy extraordinaire. He is usually the alter boys serving when we go to mass on Sundays. I often watch him during mass because sometimes he nods off and I like to see whether the priest discovers this.

Shawn also served the mass at my grandfather’s funeral a few weeks back.

He shyly offers me a piece of bubblegum from his back pocket. I refuse at first because I know that the gum is attached with a price tag I am not willing to pay. It means spending recesses with Shawn. Standing on the sidelines next to him and maybe even holding his hand.

This wouldn’t be a smart thing to do: for it will “attract attention”. Something I don’t want to happen. Rather, I am trying as hard as I can to remain invisible in my new school.

There are other kids that I wouldn’t mind standing next too, but not Shawn. I don’t know how I know, but there is some shadow hanging over Shawn.

He is one of seven children. Seven boys. He is the youngest. They all have red hair like their father. They are Irish immigrants. They speak with funny accents. The family is poor. And for some reason, I don’t understand, everyone looks down upon them.

So, when Shawn stands there in the boys’ bathroom next to me, explaining what a urinal is, and then offers me a package of bubblegum, my first instinct is to get out of there as soon as possible. Then I remember Shawn is a alter boy and that is sort of like being a priest, isn’t it?

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment