02 March, 2008

Excitement Brewing

Another three weeks, and the gods willing, we will be on our way to New York City. I’m really looking forward to the journey. What a pleasure it will be to see my friends again. One friend is living around the corner from our B&B. She is our anchor, our guide, and a long time friend.

Another deardear friend is making her way down from the east coast with her two daughters to spend a long Easter weekend with us. We have had the pleasure of short meeting in NCY twice before, but, she and I have not seen each others’ children in almost ten years time. No longer small children, but teenagers, or almost teenagers… it should be interesting.

Another aspect of the journey that I am greatly anticipating is travelling together with my two children. We have done much travelling in the past, how could it be otherwise with family spread so afar, but we have not gone on many journeys just to discover a new city or country.

In preparation, I’ve decided to make a collage for each of us before the journey, and, if I so feel inclined, three for after the journey.
nyc_sara01
Sara’s collage

We are each going to make up a list of four or five things we want to do or places we wish to visit during our trip. So far, my daughter is most clear on what she wants to do:

Picnic in Central Park
Go and eat pizza at John’s of Bleecker Street (tip from Ronni)
Go to the Tender Buttons shop

My daughter is the planner, organizer, and all around secretary in our household. She remembers the stories from my previous visits to NYC better than I remember the experiences. This talent must have been handed down to her from her paternal family. In this sense she is truly mysterious being to me.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful trip ... you folks are going to have so much fun.

    Operating on the assumption that kids can't get enough pizza, here's another nice outing to consider if the weather is nice, and you like to walk. We really enjoyed it.

    Ride the subway over to Brooklyn.
    Eat pizza at Grimaldi's.
    Eat ice cream down the street at Brooklyn Ice Cream factory.
    Walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge. It has a wonderful elevated pedestrian walkway. Make sure you walk it towards Manhattan for some of the best views of the city anywhere.
    You can catch the subway at city hall to get back to where you want to be.

    P.S. Lucky!

    woyo chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for you. I'm sure you're going to have a fabulous time. Love the new blog look, by the way ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to NY a couple of years ago with the kids and it was absolutely fantastic. I think what we liked best was the Museum of Modern Art (my kids are excellent art critics, and I do mean critics!) and the cheesecake we bought at Junior's in the basement of Grand Central Station.

    ReplyDelete